Serves 6 // Filling: Prep 25-30 minutes, Cook 1 hour + cooling // Pastry: Prep 20 minutes, 1 hour chilling, cook 35-45 minutes
This is good made the day before or the in the morning to allow the flavours to infuse over the day (plus less work in one go!)
Filling (you could double this and put half in the freezer to be kind and thoughtful to future you!):
• 1 tbsp oil
• 1 large onion
• 5 garlic cloves, grated
• thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled + grated
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
• 1 cinnamon stick
• pinch of chilli flakes
• 250g red lentils
• 600ml vegetable stock
• 30g butter
• 300g spinach
• 1 lemon, zested + juiced
• 2 tbsp coriander
• 6 tbsp chutney
To make filling:
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook over a low heat for 10 mins, stirring, until softened. Mix in the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for 1 min more.
Tip in the lentils, pour over the vegetable stock, season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then cover and cook for 20 mins until the lentils are tender.
Meanwhile, heat half the butter in a large pan, add the spinach and cook until wilted OR steam. Season, then drain.
Stir the spinach through the lentils with the lemon zest and juice and coriander, then leave to cool.
Pie crust (you can make your own like this, or you can buy pastry, or to keep it really simple, top the lentils with puff or filo in a pyrex dish):
650g plain flour, extra for dusting
1 egg, beaten
For the wash:
3 egg yolks (freeze the whites for another time)
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sea salt flakes
1. Rub the butter into the flour with a generous pinch of sea salt until completely combined.
2. Add the beaten egg and 100ml ice-cold water and mix until you have a soft dough. Transfer to the fridge and chill for at least 1 hr, or until needed.
3. Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the egg wash.
4. Roll out on a lightly floured surface.
5. Line the bottom of the pie dish, leaving an overhang.
6. Fill the pies with the lentil mix + adding the chutney to the middle. Brush the rims with some of the egg yolk mix, top with the remaining pastry rounds, then trim and crimp the edges.
6. Glaze with more egg yolk mix, and chill until you’re ready to cook.
7. Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 6 with a baking tray inside. Put the pies on the hot tray and bake for 35-45 mins until golden.
Adapted from BBC Good Food